Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Munich First Weekend, Sunday

This morning Corey and I took the train to the BMW dorm to move both of our stuff in.  He is able to move in today, but I’m just keeping my stuff there until tomorrow when I can move in. 

After doing that I went to church with Corey at Michaelskirche.  It wasn’t exactly ideal for my first catholic church service because it was all in Italian and there was a huge box blocking my view of the alter because they are doing construction.  Nonetheless, I got to experience it a little bit and learn more about it from Corey before and afterward. 







After church we parted ways so that he could unpack, get to know his roommate a little, and take a much needed nap.  I then went on a scavenger hunt to find Asamskirche.  I had seen pictures of it on the internet and just had to check it out for myself.  It turned out to be hard to find, so I had to ask several locals for directions, but even they didn’t know where it was.  Once I got there, it was totally worth it.  It’s strangely placed, right on the street connected to the houses next to it.  Apparently there was a rich family called the Asams who built this church connected right next to their house for their own personal place of worship.  I went in and couldn’t believe my eyes.  It was so over the top fancy and ornate.  Everything is very intricate and overlaid with precious metals.  Well worth the trip and the trouble finding it.




After that, I rode the train to Englischer Garden, where I took a leisurely walk through the enormous park.  There I saw the Chinesischer Turm, which is the most well-known and popular beer garden in Munich.  There had to have been at least a thousand plus people there all drinking Hofbraeuhaus beer.  After all it was a gorgeous afternoon.  There were loads of people in the park today.









I moved on and came to the Monopteros which is a greek monument with white columns and a dome that overlooks big fields where people were playing volleyball, soccer, frisbee and sunbathing.  Then I walked toward the Japanisches Teehaus just to see what it was, and found out it’s only open two weekends a month between April and October.  I think it’s open two weekends from now, so I might go back then and get some of the delicious looking tea.  Then I kept moving and came to a canal at the southern tip of the Englischer Garden at a place called the permanent wave.  Still trying to figure that one out.  Maybe because the water keeps flowing out from a small waterfall at the end of it?  I don’t know.  But I found a spot in the grass along the bank and spent the rest of the afternoon reading there.



For dinner I stopped at Burger King (which tasted so good by the way, I didn’t realize how much I missed burgers) and then took the train to Theresienwiese, which is where they hold Oktoberfest every year.  I was curious what would be there in the off-season, and sure enough it was a gigantic gravel pit.  I wonder if it serves any other purpose?  Then I took the train back to the Hauptbahnhof and walked back to the hostel, where I updated my blog and skyped with Janie for a bit before going to bed.  Tomorrow I start my first day of work!  I’m a little nervous about it though because of introducing myself and meeting my boss in German.  I know he speaks good English, but I want to try as hard as possible not to resort to it so that I can get better with German.  

No comments:

Post a Comment