Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mittenwald, Germany

This weekend I decided to do one of my favorite things ever:  hiking.  I wanted to go to the Alps and I asked for a recommendation from my mentor Fritz, who loves camping and paragliding in his free time.  He recommended a place directly on the Southern Germany-Austria border called Mittenwald.  It is very near to the heavily tourist-filled Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but Mittenwald is more off the beaten path that not too many people know about, including Bavarians.


Department picture during breakfast for Rob (in red) from Holland's last day of work.  My boss Fritz is third from the right.

A little background on Mittenwald.  It’s known worldwide for its violins. Violinists and cellists come from all over the world to buy violins from Mittenwald and to do apprenticeships and study the art and craft at the violin school.  There is a violin museum here, but I decided not to go inside in favor of doing more hiking instead.

Mittenwald is a small town nestled in a valley between the mountains.  I spent some time walking through the town a bit, but I spent most of my time hiking through the mountains and alongside two nearby lakes.  It was absolutely captivating.  I hiked about 20km (12 miles) and took well over 300 pictures and it’s going to be hard to choose ones to show on here.

The train ride alone would have been worth it


Paraglider

Hilarious Irish guys I sat with on the train

Mittenwald



You know it's a small town when the pews have name plates









I don't know how to do a panorama, so here goes my weak attempt...






Waterfall













My attempt at art








Finished the day with a guitar concert by Francesco Taranto from Rome.  I was in the front row.




No comments:

Post a Comment